This butternut squash soup is rich tasting and has both a smooth and chunky consistency at the same time and it’s hearty enough for supper. It’s perfect for chasing away the chills on a cool day and it’s easy to prepare.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups cubed ham
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp gluten free flour (doesn’t matter what brand)
- 4 cups canned tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 10 cups butternut squash, peeled and chopped into ½ cubes
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp paprika
- pepper, to taste
- Heat the 2 tbsp of oil in a large 4 quart pot on medium heat for a few seconds, and then add onion and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add the ham, garlic, oregano and thyme and sauté for 2 more minutes. Sprinkle flour over onion and ham mixture and continue to cook and stir for about a minute longer.
- Add the canned tomatoes to the pot and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and let simmer for fifteen minutes.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients, cover pot, and heat to boiling. Turn heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove lid and continue to simmer for another 30 minutes. Let stand for 15-20 minutes before serving.