For the pie crust:
- 1 1/2 c gluten free pie crust mix
- 1/2 c cold butter
- 3 tbsp. cold water
- 1/4 c gluten free flour, set aside for rolling out pie crust
For the filling:
- 8 medium apples, a mix of Macintosh, Spartan & Jonagold
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 c granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
For the topping:
- 1/4 c butter
- 1/2 c dark brown sugar
- 1/2 c gluten free flour
- 1/2 c gluten free oats
1. Mix pie crust and butter together with a fork until crumbly and pieces are the size of small peas. Add water and mix together gently just until the mixture holds together. Roll into a ball, cover and refrigerate until ready to roll out.
2 Peel, core and slice the apples thinly and place into a large bowl and sprinkle with the lemon juice. Stir together the sugar, cornstarch, and spices in a small bowl and sprinkle over the apples. Mix the apples and cornstarch mixture together and set aside.
3. Mix the topping ingredients together in another bowl and set aside.
4. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
5. Remove pie dough from the fridge and place on top of a 12″ x 12″ square of wax paper that has been sprinkled with the gluten free flour. Flatten the dough a bit and sprinkle a small amount of flour on top of the dough ball and cover with another square of wax paper. Roll the dough through the wax paper until thin, sprinkling lightly with flour if the dough begins to stick to the paper. Carefully pull off the top layer of wax paper and place the remaining wax paper holding the pie crust onto the palm of your hand. Place a 9″ round pie plate overtop of the crust and using both hands flip over so that the crust ends up in the pie plate. Gently loosen the crust from the wax paper into the pie plate pressing the crust into place. Trim the edges of the crust.
6. Place the apple mixture into the pie crust. It will be a heaped mound and seem like too many apples but that’s okay because the apples will shrink as they bake. Sprinkle the crumble topping on the apples pressing it down a bit. Place the pie into the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes, reduce the temperature to 350 degrees C then cover loosely with foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes. Cool for 2 hours before serving.