- 1/2 package of bacon (1/2 lb)
- 1 medium onion
- 4 medium carrots
- 6 stalks celery
- 5 medium potatoes
- 1 tbsp. rice flour blend
- 1/2 c dry white wine
- 1 litre carton of chicken broth
- 1/2 c half and half cream
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme
- fresh ground black pepper
1. Dice the onion and set aside. Dice the carrots, celery and potatoes into bite size cubes and set aside.
2. Chop bacon into small pieces and brown in a large non-stick skillet on medium high heat. Drain fat then add onions to the pan and sauté with the bacon for about 2 more minutes. Stir in the rice flour blend and the thyme and cook for a minute longer.
3. Add the white wine and simmer for about 2 minutes then transfer the mixture to a 6 quart soup pot. Add the chicken broth and remaining vegetables. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and let simmer for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked to desired firmness.
4. Drain the clams reserving 1/2 cup of the liquid. Add the clams and the reserved clam juice to the pot and bring to a simmer. Stir in the 1/2 and 1/2 cream and black pepper.