- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef
- 2 c. tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 20 oz. marinara sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh basil
- 9 wheat free lasagna noodles
- 2 c. 1% cottage cheese
- 2 c. mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 c. dry parmesan cheese
- 1 free range egg
- 4 c. chopped fresh spinach leaves
- 1 c. thinly sliced mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
1. Cook the noodles according to the package instructions just until they are al dante. Do not over cook.
2. Set aside 1 c. of the marinara sauce and pour the rest into a medium saucepan along with the tomatoes, garlic, oregano and basil and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
3. Saute the mushrooms with 1 tbsp. olive oil in a non-stick saucepan for 2-3 minutes. Remove mushrooms from pan and set aside.
4. Brown the ground beef in the non-stick skillet on medium heat. Drain off the fat and discard and transfer the ground beef into the saucepan with the tomatoes and simmer gently for another 5 minutes.
5. Combine the cottage cheese, the parmesan cheese and egg together in a small bowl and set aside.
6. With a pastry brush coat the bottom of a glass 9″ x 9″ baking pan with 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Next spread 1/2 cup of the reserved marina sauce in the baking pan. Arrange 3 of the noodles in the bottom of the oiled baking pan. Spoon 1/3 of the meat sauce over the noodles. Spoon 1/3 of the cheese mixture over the meat sauce. Cover the cheese mixture with 2 cups of the spinach. Sprinkle evenly with 1/2 cup of mozzarella and cover with 3 more noodles. Repeat layers again, ending with a layer of sauce on top. Sprinkle with the mushrooms and the remaining cup of mozzarella.
7. Loosely cover the pan with a sheet of foil sprayed with Pam non-stick cooking spray and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake for another 20 minutes until bubbly and the cheese is just beginning to brown lightly.
8. Remove from oven and let rest for 15 minutes before serving.