- 1 bag of frozen raw shrimp or prawns; thawed, peeled and deveined
- 1 tub container of fresh pineapple spears, drained with juice reserved and set aside
- 1 red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 2 tbsp salad oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated fine
- 1 tbsp finely chopped cilantro or parsley
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp finely minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp each of salt and black pepper
- 8 – 16 wooden skewers
1. Soak skewers in water for 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place reserved pineapple juice, salad oil, vinegar, lemon juice, ginger, cilantro, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper into a small bowl. Whisk together and set aside to use as a basting sauce.
3. Cut up the peppers, red onion and pineapple into chunks approximately the size of your shrimp. Thread shrimp and vegetables alternately onto the skewers.
4. Preheat BBQ to 400 degrees. Oil grill or spray with non-stick spray designed for grilling (I use PAM). Grill kabobs for 2 or 3 minutes until grill marks appear on the shrimp, then turn and brush with basting sauce. Grill for 2 or 3 more minutes then turn and baste again. Continue this process until the shrimp is cooked. It should be pink , opaque, and firm. Be careful not to overcook as the shrimp can become tough and dry.