- 1 Tbsp Grey Poupon dijon mustard
- 6 garlic cloves, finely minced or crushed through a garlic press
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp dark, brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 3 – 4 lb. beef cross rib roast
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees C. This may be cooked on the barbeque as well with great results. If so then preheat the barbeque to 500 degrees C.
2. Mix the first 8 ingredients together into a paste.
3. Wash and dry the roast and using a small knife, cut a x on the top of the roast about 1/2 an inch deep and 2 inches from the center in each direction. Reserve 1 Tbsp of the paste and spread the remaining paste onto all sides of the roast. Spoon the remaining Tbsp of paste into the x on the top of the roast.
4. Place the roast onto an oven grill pan or into a roasting pan and roast at 450 degrees for the first 10 minutes. Then turn the heat down to 300 degrees and roast for 2 hours. (If using barbeque instead of oven, grease the grill rack and place the roast directly onto the grill. Close the barbeque lid and roast for 5 minutes. Then turn off the burner under the roast and cook for 2 hours, maintaining a temperature of 300 degrees.)
5. Once desire doneness is reached, remove the roast from the oven and tent with foil. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.