- 1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tbsp. thyme leaves
- 1 c dry white wine
- 4 c canned tomatoes
- 4 c chicken broth
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 lb. cod, chopped into small chunks
- 1 lb. mussels or clams in shells, cleaned and rinsed
- 1/2 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 bay leaf
1. Saute the fennel and the onion in olive oil in a large soup pot for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and cook for another minute. Add the white wine and simmer for 2 minutes and then add the tomatoes and simmer for 15 more minutes.
2. Then add the chicken broth, potatoes, and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Cover pot and let simmer for 10-15 minutes just until the potatoes are almost tender.
3. Add the cod and mussels or clams to the soup and cook for 10 minutes. Remove any mussels or clams that don’t open and throw out. Then add the shrimp and cook for another 5 minutes.
4. Garnish the soup with finely minced fennel fronds or parsley and serve.