This creamy light tasting cheesecake is the perfect dessert for a special company dinner. It’s so delicious! The topping here is a tangy strawberry sauce but other frozen fruit such as sour cherries, blueberries or peaches can be used in place of strawberries.
- 12 to 15 gluten free gingersnap cookies, finely ground or crushed to make 1 cup of crumbs
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 – 8 oz. packages Philadelphia cream cheese
- 2 c whipping cream
- 1/2 c and 1/4 c sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp. gelatin powder
- 1/4 c milk
- 4 c frozen strawberries
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
1. Combine cookie crumbs with butter and 1 tbsp. sugar and press firmly into a round spring form cheesecake pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 6 minutes. Set aside until cool.
2. Beat the whipping cream in a medium bowl with an electric beater until thick. Add 1/4 c sugar and beat until blended into the whipped cream, about 30 seconds more. Set the bowl of whipped cream aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl beat together the cream cheese, 1/2 c sugar and vanilla until smooth, for about 2 minutes and set aside.
4. Place the 1/4 c milk in a microwave oven and heat on high for 30 seconds. Remove and whisk in the gelatin until the mixture is smooth. Pour mixture into the bowl with the cream cheese mixture and beat with the electric beater until combined. Add the whipping cream to the bowl and gently fold into the cream cheese mixture until mixture is well combined.
5. Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the cookie crumbs in the spring form pan and place into the refrigerator for at least one hour to set.
6. To prepare the topping, place 3 cups of the strawberries into the microwave and thaw on the high heat setting for one minute or just until strawberries have released their juice and are just barely thawed. Be careful not to “cook” the berries. Drain the juice into a small saucepan. Add the 1/4 cup sugar and the cornstarch and whisk together. Cook on medium high heat until mixture is hot, bubbling, thick and glossy. Remove from heat and first stir in the remaining 1 cup of frozen strawberries and then add the thawed strawberries and gently stir them in being careful not to mush them.
7. To serve the cheesecake, remove the sides of the pan and slice the cheesecake into wedges and place onto a dessert plate. Spoon topping over each piece before serving.