- 3 large red, yellow and oranges peppers
- 1 lb. lean ground beef, or other lean ground meat
- 3/4 c basmati rice
- 3 c marinara sauce
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 c grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp fennel seed
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
1. Cook basmati rice according to package instructions and set aside.
2. Brown beef in large pan. Drain fat and add chopped onion, fennel seed, oregano, salt and pepper to pan and saute on medium heat for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile cut peppers in half from the stem end to the opposite end. Carefully cut out the stem and remove the seeds and membrane. Place the pepper halves into an oiled casserole dish or baking pan.
4. Mix the beef, rice, egg, fresh basil, 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce and 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese together in a large bowl and stuff the pepper halves with mixture.
5. Sprinkle the peppers with 1 cup of cheese and pour remaining marinara all over the peppers letting it roll off the sides into the casserole dish. Distribute the remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese onto each pepper and sprinkle with parmesan.
6. Cover the casserole dish with a sheet of tin foil sprayed with non-stick cooking spray and place into a preheated 350 degree oven. Bake for 50 minutes. Remove tin foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Let peppers cool for 8-10 minutes before serving.